Saturday, January 9, 2016

    I have always loved carnivorous plants ever since I first saw the beauty of a Venus trap in full bloom. The Carnivorous plants are very beneficial to natural gardens as well as the perfect houseplant in the right conditions. Conditions to raising a Carnivorous plant include one common mistake that a simple rain catcher can eliminate. Carnivorous plant thrive well in sphagnum peat moss with rainwater applied to the bottom of the plants, and never to the tops. I have made a bog garden in my Greenhouse and I am currently starting a few Carnivorous plants from seeds. In preparation of the bed, I put in a pond liner to keep the pond water in and filled the area with sphagnum pea moss. In the center I put a small plastic tub to fill with pond water and lilly pads as I love to have frogs too in my greenhouse and this set up houses the frogs and helps with bug control inside my greenhouse.       In my home I have a garden window with a beautiful Pitcher plant and another container with Sundews. The inside plants do well in indirect sunlight and the containers are terra cotta, the containers are set in plastic trays that I keep full of rainwater or pond water for self absorption. I have a separate small glass behind the plants that I put in a small portion of fruit to attract a small amount of fruit flies, they tend to multiply in their food source so it does not look well but is beneficial to the Carnivorous plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment